Breaking News

Breaking News Update: Economic Recession: Nigerians regret voting for Buhari- Apir


Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Man commits suicide in Umuahia after stabbing own mother

A 27-year-old man, Tobechukwu Ogbonna, on Tuesday night set himself ablaze after reportedly stabbing his mother severally at their family house located at No 12 Bonny Umuahia.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) learned that the incident happened at about 11 p.m. following an argument that ensued between Tobechukwu and his mother, Mrs Linda Ogbonna.

Eye-witness account said that the argument started when the woman refused to oblige Tobechukwu's request for money.

‘’His mother might have refused to give him money because he would end up using it to take drugs,’’ a tenant alleged on the condition of anonymity.

The tenant said that Tobechukwu, who was notorious for drugs-taking, might have acted under its influence.

‘’After taking drugs, he returns home to terrorise everybody in the yard, including the poor woman,’’ the tenant said, adding that he often manhandled the woman.

It was further learned that Tobechukwu locked up his mother in their apartment before dealing several machete cuts on her.

Another tenant, Mr Joseph Mark, said that ‘’when we heard the screaming from the woman, we rushed and forced the door open.

‘’At that point, Tobechukwu had inflicted some cuts on the woman and she was bleeding profusely,’’ Mark said.

He said that he was immediately overpowered and disarmed, while the woman was taken to safety.

Tobechukwu was alleged to have also dealt a deadly cut on the woman’s pet-dog, which was found lifeless in the apartment.

NAN learned that a team of policemen invited to the scene later moved the woman to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Umuahia for treatment.

It was, however, gathered that, shortly after the police left the scene, Tobechukwu poured fuel on the building, set it ablaze and suddenly jumped into it.

‘’He was burnt to death before fire fighters arrived at the place and put out the fire,’’ another eyewitness, Mr Abdulfatia Ayodele, said.

Ayodele said that the remains of the deceased were taken to the FMC mortuary by the firemen.

When contacted, Mr Ezekiel Onyeke, the Police Public Relations Officer, confirmed the incident, saying that the command had commenced investigation into the matter. (NAN)

No comments:

Post a Comment